Tuesday 24 July 2012

Rain


Apparently it’s the rainy season here in Thailand. Being Irish I naturally associate rain with cold, because in Ireland, even in Summer, when it rains it’s generally cold. But that isn’t the case here. It’s still properly hot most of the time. A serious rainfall will lower the temperature slightly but it soon returns to normal (just shy of the surface of the sun).

Jovanotti – Piove
It means “to rain” or “its raining”. I never knew that til I just Mooged it, I always liked the tune and felt it’s a happy one. If you speak Italian and tell me it’s about bad shit I will ruin your day for ruining this song for me.

I love the rain here because it reminds me of home. That might seem weird because I associate it with cold, but it’s the little things, good and bad, that shape our views on everything. Here when it rains I think of home but I ain’t cold. However, the downside is I can’t light a fire. There’s something special about Ireland on a cold, rainy, shitty day with a big fire going, good company and a fine beverage in hand.

While the weather outside is frightful, the fire is indeed delightful. I know this song is about snow but if you’ve ever experienced shitty Irish wet weather you’d welcome snow. I’ve been in -23C in Europe (where it’s dry) and it still wasn’t anywhere near as cold as Ireland. It doesn’t matter what you wear, a fuckin dry suit even, you will get wet and your bones will start to freeze.

The Doors – Riders on the Storm
If I need to sell you on this one you don’t deserve to live. Fuck off and die.

What impresses me about the rain in Asia is how powerful it is. Irish rain is relatively light, although there are downpours, but tropical rain has a fury to it. Probably because it’s regularly accompanied by God’s stadium rock show of thunder and lightning. I’m getting used to it now, but it’s still humbling when a lightning bolt strikes nearby and the sky is rent with electricity, especially at night.

Even without the light and sound show though, the rain here can bucket down with force. I recently considered hooking an amp up to my tv just to be able to hear the dialogue. I decided against it (laziness) cranked up the PS3, got the headset on and shot motherfuckers in the face. Therapy at it’s finest.

So what the fuck was this piece about I hear you ask? Well the simple answer is I’m sober and I usually can’t write much when I am. So I picked a random boring subject to see if I could. I have grown as a person through this small chapter. I realize I don’t curse anywhere near as much when I’m sober.

I also realized, on reflection, that maybe my pick of subject wasn’t random but a subconscious mirror of my mood. We often use weather analogies to describe our feelings, because everyone understands what we mean. This morning I woke early in somber mood and it felt like rain.

Now I know what you’re thinking. Has this dickhead finally lost his mind? In truth, it’s quite possible I have, plenty of people seem to think so. I don’t think I have, but then again, if I had, I wouldn’t. Right?

No, no. The profile says I’m a philosophizing shite talker and this piece is absolutely true to that. The rain may still be there (metaphorically) but like Gene Kelly, I’m singin in it and I hope you are too.

1 comment:

  1. Philosophizing ? Definately.
    shite?...not so sure about that...I would actually disagree.
    Wubble, you have an insight rarely found these days..and appreciate the smallest things in life..like rain.
    Harmless, scary, exciting, wet, cold, warm, miserable, great for forming puddles to then jump in...no matter what the age of the jumpee.
    Being slight more sober brings out the best in you and gives you a different slant on the world.
    (FYI..Your eyes are also more open when you're sober) check that out.
    I look forward to more wonderful mostly politically incorrect (halleluja) comments, events,happenings, sayings....and anything else you can use in your life, to compile these masterpieces.
    Continue to appreciate the small things in this life....like rain...and sing some more....for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete